Paediatric Speech & Voice Clinic
Dr. Jefferson runs a voice clinic in conjunction with Senior Paediatric Speech Pathologist Sophie Egan for patients experiencing issues with their voice.
The voice clinic provides a comprehensive approach to evaluation and treatment. Vocal coaches and speech therapists are invited to attend appointments when possible.
Who do we treat?
- Children with voice issues
- Vocal fold paralysis
- Subglottic stenosis
- Vocal fold cysts & polyps
- Spastic dysphonia
What conditions do we treat?
- throat clearing
- high or low pitch
- difficulty breathing
- vocal fatigue
- poor projection
- control issues
What happens at the voice assessment?
- During your 40 minute consultation, Dr Jefferson and Sophie Egan will review the patient’s presenting problems
- A physical examination will be conducted by Dr Jefferson
- Comprehensive voice assessment with video recording will be run by Sophie Egan
- Acoustic analysis of voice (acoustic measurements of sound signals are taken using specialized software and computer equipment) and a video recording
- Direct visualization of the vocal folds using endoscopy and/or videostroboscopy (the vocal folds are viewed using a flexible or rigid endoscope and a specialized light source)
What happens after the voice assessment?
Following the voice assessment, Dr Jefferson (ENT) and Sophie Egan (SLP) will:
- discuss the normal structure and function of the vocal folds and the patient findings
- discuss therapeutic, medical and/or surgical treatment options
- help initiate referrals to community agencies and/or other services, such as Speech-Language Pathology or vocal coaches
- generate a comprehensive report with copies sent to interested parties
- the report, audio recordings, strobe photos and strobe video will be given to the patient on a USB
- arrange a follow-up clinic appointment if necessary
ENT fees: $280.00 (Medicare rebate $72.75 with valid referral and Medicare card)
Speech Pathologist fees: $100.00 (Health fund rebate may apply)
*Procedures such as nasendoscopy and videostroboscopy are bulk billed with valid Medicare card & referral*